Tuesday 1 April 2014

Georgie's Birthday

     It's been a big week.  It was Georgiana's birthday on Thursday.  Yes, I know it's a good thing, but it's also an exhausting thing.  The older I get, the less I can seem to handle these things with grace and dignity. 
     Georgiana's birthday is always near Easter - in fact, she was born on Easter Sunday - so we have certain traditions associated with her birthday.  At her party we always have an Easter egg hunt, and she always has a carrot cake covered in cream cheese frosting, decorated with gold Lindt chocolate miniature bunnies sitting in green-colored coconut with candy flowers and miniature chocolate eggs. The decorations are always Easter/spring decorations.
     Birthdays in our house start early.  Tim likes to open his presents first thing in the morning (which is the opposite to me - I like opening mine near the end of my birthday), so we somehow started a tradition of giving the birthday person breakfast in bed, and presenting them with all of their presents.  Georgie requested crepes with lemon, sugar and nutella, along with bacon and maple syrup.  So I was up at 5:30 getting her breakfast sorted, trying to find my happy face for when I woke the birthday girl.
     Breakfast, cards and presents:



 
     Since we have only moved here a few months ago, Georgie didn't feel she knew enough people to have a proper party, so she decided to invite a family from our church instead.  That's always the best kind for me - there's more adults to help out and to keep me company.  But it was still stressful preparing a party buffet for 14 people.
     Here's Georgie on her ninth birthday:


 
 
     Georgie has made me very proud this week, actually.  I was exhausted this past weekend, and so I hadn't done my usual brunch for the choir members after choir practice on Sunday, which takes place at our house.  I was apologizing for my sins of omission and sending the choir members out the door, when Georgie informed me that she had made brunch and it was waiting on the dining room table.  And indeed it was!  There was a big bowl of canned peaches, a bowl of nutella mixed with miniature marshmallows, and yogurts.  I loved her catering style and I was touched that she could see a need and was willing to meet it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment